Kombucha has been the probiotic Tea that’s been enjoyed for thousands of years. The first recorded introduction of it dates back in 221 C.E.
WHAT IS KOMBUCHA?
An easy explanation comes from a great source (blog.genomind.com) Kombucha, a fermented tea beverage, is rich in probiotics and antioxidants, which benefit your brain, heart and gut. The healthy bacteria found in kombucha and your digestive tract absorb nutrients and fight sickness.
HISTORY OF KOMBUCHA
According to a source “The most popular legend comes fromChina and dates back to 221-206 BC where it is believed that the emperor Qin She Huang extended his life by drinking the “Tea of Immortality”. - drinkpreneur.com.
The name “Kombucha “ comes from a Dr. Kombu (from Japan) that brought back the tea to the Japanese Emperor, Inyoko, during his travels. The word “cha” comes from the Japanese word for tea.
10 HEATH BENEFITS
The health benefits of kombucha are vital to note. So healthy that kombucha was given to the Samurais before they fought in battle for sustained energy.
1. Detoxification. Teeming with healthy enzymes and probiotics that help digestion and elimination these work hard in ridding the body of toxic wastes that sometimes unhealthily gets stored in the intestines for too long. Kombucha helps regulate the elimination process.
2. Improved Digestion. The enzymes, polyphenols, healthy bacteria & organic acids in Kombucha help aid in coating the intestines with this healthy bacteria which helps consume and digest foods easier. Most of the good bacteria in our intestines get depleted daily because of chemicals on our body’s, around us, antibiotics, unhealthy foods & stress. So the good bacteria, also called, microbiome, needs to be replenished daily and Kombucha helps do this.
3. Enhances Mood. When we are eliminating toxic waste from our “second brain”, as it’s called to refer to our intestines (which look very similar to our brain when you put them side to side), it automatically lifts our moods which I turn helps alleviate depression.
4. Enhances Energy. Elimination of waste also goes hand in hand with enhancing our energy. When our intestines are full of toxic waste it’s energy is directed to elimination leaving less energy for you. So a daily dose of probiotics let’s your good bacteria do most the work of elimination in turn leaving more energy for you to go about your daily activities better.
5. Improves Brain Function. A storage of waste in the intestines can lead to what’s known as “foggy brain” and leave no room for good concentration & cognitive function. Here again regular elimination of toxic waste stored in your “second brain” will help your brain concentrate on your activities.
Research is showing more benefits below:
6. Helps Fight Cancer.
7. Weight Loss.
8. Cholesterol Reduction.
9. Arthritis Prevention.
10. Immune System Stimulus.
if you’d like to know the science behind these please google it as there’s so much available information and I am just an avid researcher not a doctor or nutritionist.
You can make your own Kombucha which we’ve done before on the farm or by some delicious kombucha from the store. We’ve been drinking locally made California kombucha but Amazon now has Kombucha starter kits to help you make your own! It’s super fun and worth the try of you’re a patient person as it takes 2-3 weeks to make.
And yes kombucha is currently being given to our mini Aussiedoodle puppies periodically as we put a little in their water. If you don’t have kombucha be sure to put in a little raw organic apple cider vinegar as this also is very beneficial in alkalinity their little systems.
Summer Kombucha ? Spritzer (for you)
1. Fill your (16 oz or more) glass 1/2 way with your fav kombucha
2. Fill the rest of the glass with cold sparkling mineral water
3. Add some fresh lemon juice &/or some fresh mint or a slice of lemon for more antioxidants.
Yas H. Castro
Realtor, Animal lover, Farmher, Foodie, Traveler, No Waste & Simple Toxin-free Living Advocate