Can We Learn From Zinfandel?
Been Zin lover for awhile because of its well rounded depth of flavor, spicy, earthy characteristics, deep color & firm structure, not as heavy as a Cab Sauv & not as light as a Pinot... well balanced for the discerning palate. But recently got to love it more learning more about its unique personality!
1. It’s kept intriguing mystery til the 90’s DNA search found the Zinfandel equivalents in Italy (Puglia) Primativo & originally from Croatia, known as the Crljenak Kastelanski.
2. It’s super adaptable. Although European with roots Zin quickly adapted to California living becoming known as it’s heritage grape & its “wine child” .
3. It’s exciting, not boring & could be a red wine, white “pink” Zinfandel (very popular in the 70’s -90’s), a blending grape or a late harvest port wine.
4. Zin can handle the heat & cool times in life & can make the grape more flavorful with its struggle, thriving in moderate, Mediterranean-like climates & cooling winds (to prevent mildew), an even ratio of sun exposure.
4. “Down to earth grape “ although from abroad has made itself at home in California soil & climate which is why so many delicious Zin wines come from California.
5. It brought joy to the settlers when their search for treasure proved fruitless in the mid “1800’s,” they turned to farming — & the Zinfandel grape thrived more than the Gold Rush ever could.
6. Being its amazing unique self contributed to ZAP being created as its official promotional organization, “Zin Advocates & Producers”.
7. It’s multi-cultural & fun personality make it pair well with almost any type of food.
8. Zinfandel is a fighting survivor! When the setters came & land was abundant & (a vine destroying bug), phylloxera was destroying other European varietals, Zinfandel was surviving & thriving.
9. It’s got a colorful personality adaptating to different climates with it’s uneven ripening, which means grapes that are slightly under ripe, perfectly ripe, & some dehydrated or “raisiny” in the same cluster leading to the unique flavor dimensions.
10. Zins are beautiful in color & get better with age as the oldest vines in California with 50-100+ years make extremely delicious wine
So much we can learn from this amazing grape!
What Zins have you enjoyed lately?
Comments are closed.
Yas H. Castro
Realtor, Animal lover, Farmher, Foodie, Traveler, No Waste & Simple Toxin-free Living Advocate